1. Storing your cheese in plastic wrap (guilty!) doesn’t allow it to breathe. Best to wrap it in parchment paper and then store it in a cool place, like your wine refrigerator (I have two of those!) or the crisper section of your fridge (source: Food and Wine, July 2008).
2. Coach Farm has been making artisanal goat cheese since 1983 – I had no idea! I buy their goat milk (soooo sweet) and their triple cream goat cheese (it tastes like grass in the freshest way you can imagine) from Fresh Direct, of all places (Source: Food and Wine, September 2008).
3. So I found out that “spangleferkel” is a type of German sausage. Where did I hear this fabbity-fab tidbit? Why, from Georgia Nicolson in Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers**, of course. So I wanted to look into what spangleferkel is, and I found this poetry blog from a teenager in
4. If you pour a glass of wine and you see condensation on the bottle or your glass, it’s too cold. I’ve served whites this way, so good to know. If it’s too cold, it affects the nose of the wine and you’re not going to smell all the herbs and citrus. I also learned that the glass you drink out of truly matters, and that the word “reserve” on a wine label really means nothing. (Courtesy of Natalie MacLean)
5. I learned that reviewing children’s books for a journal isn’t all it’s cracked up to be: you have to read a lot of crapola…and you can’t just close the book one-third of the way through and get your free time back. Nope. You not only have to finish the book, but then you have to find words to describe it…in an eloquent way that will hopefully get published. Better yet, this month I have a 3-book series…so triple the crap. I don’t want to read crap: I want to read Louise Rennison and my food and wine books!
Eat, drink, and learn something new each day
* Cheese photo courtesy of Wendell T. Weber and Food and Wine
** I discovered from Louise Rennison's site that my luuuurve match is Dave the Laugh. This is not a surprise in the least to me. In fact, I couldn't be any more predictable. Masimo and the original SG? Puh-leez. Give me someone who makes me laugh any day.